Thursday, February 07, 2008

Man (not so far) From Atlantis



(This blog entry is dedicated to Karen H, whose apartment was destroyed by flaming pieces of the shuttle that dropped down her chimney. No one will actually admit it. I think it was covered up by the FBI.)

Today was a good day in Florida.

I got to watch Drew watch the space shuttle Atlantis take off! This has been a dream of his since the program began. And if he had his way, he would be on it. Or in it.

Probably the most devastating day of his childhood was when he found out he had to have glasses and his hopes of becoming an astronaut were dashed.

The only time I've seen him tear up in a movie, was the lift-off scene from Apollo 13.

We don't have passes to Disney World, but he has one to the Kennedy Space Center.

There was only a 30% chance of take off due to a thunderstorm headed that way. Since he had already cleared his calendar, we decided to go for it, and made the 2 1/2 hour drive. We watched from Titusville on the Atlantic shore. He's in front of the TV now, watching the NASA channel and reruns of the launch that he tivo'd.

Friends who have seen both say the daytime lift off is great, but it's nothing compared to seeing one at night. Tickets go on sale Monday for the Endeavour launch at 2:45 Tuesday morning.

One of the packages offers dinner with a real astronaut! (as opposed to...)

p.s. If Drew does manage to get a ride aboard the shuttle, will he be on it ot in it?

12 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

Way to cool! I sent your link to my Steve as he will be oh so envious!!
I so missed you at the Ladies Retreat!! And then when I read your article in AWARE yesterday I missed you all over again!! Can't wait till we get to do Marc's shower!

Amberly said...

Drew is too cool!! You guys are livin' it up there in Florida! Love you!

Unknown said...

I have an idea...send Drew to space camp! He'd love it! :)

Kristi said...

Sounds fun!! What a dedicated astronaut wanna-be!! Dream BIG!!

owldog1 said...

I love you new picture on the Blog and even though I am sad you guys are in Flordia I am happy for Drew and his dreams. I can imagine how excited he will be telling Marc the story of the lift off with only a 30% chance of making it.

Anonymous said...

What a hoot! You definitely need to consider writing as a vocation. The picture is fantastic and as a child, I think I may have shared this with you already along with the other “Florida” stories; I was able to see a night launch once when we lived in Miami and I do recall being completely humbled by the event. We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Disney so I will keep you posted. Miss you terribly, It’s almost been a year L since our trek to Canton…Love you Lisa

Anonymous said...

WAY COOL...WES WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE BEEN THERE WITH HIM...ALSO ON/IN IT!

Anonymous said...

This made me tear up for him! I never knew that he had such a passion for this. I am so happy for him!
Kui Sun

Anonymous said...

You are such good writer. I read some of your blogs prior stories and I am just amazed at how vivid and clear you write. I can visually see the things you say come to life reading back at some of your stories. My particular favorite is about the pen for Christmas you bought, guilt free. :-)
Drew looks so happy on the picture for the shuttle take off... :-)
Love you, Kui Ryun

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Not something you get to do in Texas...except through the KH's chimney that is.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see a lift-off... My dad worked on some "safety" parts for the spaceship while working for Boeing in New Orleans and we have pictures and plaques autographed by the astronauts. We actually camped out on the beach across from Cape Canaveral with my cousins, to watch it blast off, but all I remember is eating fruit loops out of paper cups and sleeping in an old volkswagan van....and something about my mom and aunt trying to pee in Coke bottles.... hey,I was only 3

Anonymous said...

Dan is hilarious.

Carolyn, I agree with you the fire was a result of Columbia. Too many strange circumstances coming together at once.

I'm suprised the owners' insuraqnce companies didn't fight this.

Miss you guys - sounds like you're having a blast in FL

Blog Archive