Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Same Song...

I wish I could remember the name of the song we sang that first Sunday here. Maybe it's just as well that I don't, because it represents all of them in a way.

Drew had visited the NW church in St. Petersburg a few times before I arrived. This was the first time we had attended together. The songs were all familiar CofC, but during one song, I remember thinking, ..."they're not doing it right". And I didn't quite care for the difference. Then we got to the chorus and they "didn't do it right" again...only this time, I liked it better than the way I had learned it.

It occurred to me that this was a metaphor for the church. We're singing the same song, with the same message, same purpose. One has a different arrangement, but it doesn't make it right or wrong...just different.

We have considered trying other Christian fellowships. Not because we don't like the NW church, but because we feel like it would be a unique time to experience something different. We don't know how long we'll be here...5 years, maybe. What could we learn and how could we grow by being open to new things? What would it be like to join a church where women can lead prayers or communion thoughts during an instrumental worship service without all the tension? How would it feel to serve with a group of Christians where so many traditions are unfamiliar? What if the preacher didn't go to ACU or Harding and we weren't able to put him in the right box? Amberly (in the Philippines) is probably reading this and saying, "I'll tell you what it's like!"

It's not like we're in another country, having to learn another language and culture. Deep in my heart I know that the church is so much bigger than anything I can imagine. But when it comes right down to stepping away from my church background, I'm not as bold as I thought I would be. There is something comfortable and familiar even about some things that I don't especially care for. Is that healthy?

Our neighbors across the street invited us to go to church with them. At one time, in another state they had 3 teenagers living at home. There was not a program for the young people at their Methodist church, but there was a great one at the local church of Christ. For about 5 or 6 years, they attended that church with their kids. When the last one graduated, they went back to the Methodist church. I love that about their story. Drew and I accepted their invitation.

The handout was packed with opportunities to serve and be served. It was such a sweet service. The acoustical guitar was unobtrusive, the drama was very well done, and the sermon (the minister took off his robe for our contemporary service)was like a massage for my soul.

Drew and I had time to debrief at lunch. I was ready to sign up until he reminded me that they baptized infants, we didn't have communion...oh yeah, that. Not that those were total deal breakers. We could have communion every day if we wanted to. Do you have to sign something saying you'll be very, very Methodist? I don't think I like being called a Methodist anyway. Can we just get a social membership?

The people at NW have gone out of their way to invite us to lunch, their bible classes, their LIFE groups. Sweet, sweet people. And very ethnically and economically diverse. We love that. And we'll probably place our membership there. Still a part of me wonders if we're missing out on an opportunity to see another side of grace and fellowship that would change us forever.

Same song...different arrangement.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

I grew up in a Southern Baptist church and when William and I married we struggled to find a place where we would both feel comfortable (he was born and bred in a c of c). He was stationed in North Dakota and the one c of c there was in the midst of a huge battle in the church. I was so not interested in that!! We took time as a couple to go through the Bible and find what we believed together and discovered that the huge canyon between us was more like a little trikle, once you got past the traditions.

We discoved that if you really take the time to look and listen, we found that the differences we more in the structure and not the substance!!

I have loved reading your blog by the way!!

Amberly said...

Carolyn, I felt the exact same way! (Of course, you said it all so much better!) We are really excited to have this opportunity to visit new & different fellowships, but I long for the familiarity of my C of C background. I especially long for the songs I know so well. Even though we loved the non-denominational church we visited on Sunday, we have already picked out a local C of C to visit this coming Sunday. I'm not sure that it will give me the feeling of "home" that I crave, but it's worth a shot!

Love & miss you both!

Lynn Leaming said...

Maybe the key is in not placing membership for awhile? That way you could just visit other places and experience and learn without feeling your "neglecting" your home church. While Steve and I havent visited any non c of c's this summer we have enjoyed visiting other churches and have been surprised to find a couple that have had great worship services (because we always thought RE was best) But have found it hard to be a visitor and not home.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you're right, Lynn. It just feels so strange to be floating around. A delightful mix of relief and guilt! The ladies in class tonight were so dear. They have gone out of their way to invite me into their circle. We've also thought about finding a Saturday night service somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sister Carolyn,

No, it is not wrong for you to be drawn to comfort and safety in the familiar (or at least similar). You and Drew have moved into a very different place; they have creapy reptiles, different demographics (including Yankees who have fled South for the winter), bewildering choices that have to be made to get a drivers’ licenses, and even an icky flag.

I am so very glad that there is a c of C there that can offer you some comfort. (That might not have been the case.) And even if you do place membership there, there is nothing to stop you from visiting with other fellowships. I think you can have both worlds.

I wish you were back here. But, I love hearing about your adventures and all you're learning about.

Love,
Sandy Brumley

Blog Archive