Monday, August 20, 2007

TIA



tia - Spanish for 'aunt'
TIA's - Tex-Mex restaurant that is out of business in Richardson, Plano and Tampa.
TIA - Tampa International Airport

I celebrate the Tampa airport!

From our house, it's just a 20-30 minute drive over the bay. There are 2 lanes in; red for Southwest and blue for American. There is a cell phone waiting lot that looks like a drive-in movie. You can pull into a space and watch the big 'score board' that tells the status of all incoming flights, and it has free WIFI. There I go again, talking all technical. You can also go to the covered short term parking area (first hour free, thank you very much) where the elevator will take you to the terminal. The top floor of the parking garage is an observation deck with a lovely view of Tampa Bay.

Once inside the terminal, there is a mini-mall, complete with several bistro tables, a food court and a nice lounge area so you can comfortably wait for your guests to arrive. You have to show your boarding pass to the security guard to get on the tram that transports you to your gate, but even over there you can chill at Chili's or grab a cup of Starbucks while you wait to board your plane.

Not only is it user friendly, but this weekend it brought Scott & Terran to us for a long (but not long enough) weekend. Friday, we went to the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs and ate at a Greek restaurant on the water. We ended the evening with sunset pics on the beach and a light meal at the Don Caesar. There are at least 2-3 weddings there on the weekends. The groomsmen are always grateful to be wearing white shirts and khaki pants instead of tuxedos.

Saturday we went to downtown St.Pete and Terran and I got to shop at White/Black. She looked adorable in everything she tried on, so I just made a photo op out of each outfit. We went to Sarasota and toured the John Ringling estate, St. Armand's Circle and sunset on Anna Maria island. I love that people get so excited about sunsets on the beach. You can see them getting out of their cars with cameras (or not), and sitting in silent reverence as God shows off a little.

We are still giddy over the news that Matt & Kyla are expecting a boy. Scott & Terran have 2 nieces from her sister that they adore. Scott lowered his voice and said, "I'm going to be a male uncle!" And since some of our favorite people started out as baby boys (!) we are thrilled!

This also gives me a chance to tell Terran "Happy Birthday!" Today she is 24. When we prayed for God to bring a Christian mate to each of our sons, we had no idea that He would do far more than we could ask or imagine. Terran is the perfect audience for Scott. She laughs, she listens, she supports him and loves him in countless ways. She is gracious and giving and we love her for being who she is, not just for what she brings to Scott's world. We are better people because we know her and we are honored to have her in our family. In about 4 months, she'll add to her McBryde titles 'aunt Terran'.

She's going to be a tia!

9 comments:

Heather said...

Glad they got to come visit and that you guys had a good time! (Sorry I never got back to you about the links on the blog...looks like you figured it out!)

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad they got to come visit too! It sounds like such an interesting place to live! But everywhere you guys go is interesting! I just found your blog again today. I love your stories!

Unknown said...

you are a WONDERFUL mother in law, and you will be a WONDERFUL grandma. although, i must admit, the term grandma doesn't seem to fit you- you are a little too hip. you should try thinking up a cool-sounding term for yourself.

Carolyn said...

Our Korean grandkids call me 'Grams'. I'm happy for that to be just their special name for me, and go by another name for the McBaby...or be 'Grams' all around. I'll be thrilled with whatever comes out of his mouth!

Unknown said...

What a great airport...I'm jealous! And I love White/Black, which is what I call it too. White House, Black Market is just too long. I can "hear" the joy you have about your new grandson and we are truly excited for you both!

Lynn Leaming said...

It is hard not to be envious reading about your adventures. I know you miss Texas terribly, but if you have to move, sounds like God has given you a beautiful place to be. Glad you got to have a sweet visit with your kids. And how spoiled is that McBaby going to be by you and Drew!!

Abbe said...

I am so glad to know about your blog and I am also glad you got to have fun with your kiddos. We miss y'all, but I am glad you are enjoying Florida. Good luck with the license plate, that is a hard decision and one you have to live with for awhile.

Unknown said...

I love reading about your Florida adventures. God be with you!

Amberly said...

Oh... I love being a Tia! And, I agree with Becky, you will definitely be a hip grandma! Here's a name... my sister's mother-in-law asked her grandkids to call her GG. She said the initials stood for "Gorgeous Grandma". :) (Ha... seriously, don't do that!)

Blog Archive