Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"They Took My Texas Driver's License Away!"

Poor Drew. Those were his first words after receiving his Florida license. "I feel like I've had my passport revoked and I can't go back to Texas." He still chokes up when he talks about it. I should have prepared him better.

It wasn't all bad. Because I called ahead and made an appointment, we walked right up to the window for service. It's a lovely facility, and except for the sign in between the front of my car and the pond beyond the parking lot that said, "Please Do Not Feed or Molest the Alligators", it was a positive experience.

Seriously. Who is going to molest an alligator? Maybe that explains why everyone was so calm in the DMV office. You give Imogene any lip, and she has the guards toss you into the pond. Just don't molest the gators while you're screaming to get out.

One of the unique things about Florida license plates is that there are so many choices. I have been studying them ahead of time so I won't be rushed into a decision under pressure. Drew is going to get the standard orange blossoms. (BORING!) I am torn between "Save the Sea Turtles" and "Hospice Care". The Hospice plate has a monarch butterfly, which I love of course, and the cause is close to my heart. But I have to say, the sea turtle would look great against my black car. I'm not sure how long I have to decide. Right now, I'm just not ready to make a committment.

What cause would you have on your license plate?

Florida Specialty License Plates Index
ENVIRONMENTAL
Animal Friend
Aquaculture
Conserve Wildlife
Discover Florida's Oceans
Everglades River of Grass
Fish Florida
Indian River Lagoon
Large Mouth Bass
Panther
Protect Florida Whales
Protect Our Reefs
Protect Wild Dolphins
Save Our Seas
Save the Manatee
Sea Turtle
Sportsmen's National Land Trust
State Wildflower
Tampa Bay Estuary

MISCELLANEOUS
A State of Vision
Agricultural Education
Agriculture
American Red Cross
Boy Scouts of America
Challenger
Choose Life
Donate Organs
End Breast Cancer
Family First
Family Values
Florida Arts
Florida Educational
Florida Golf Capital of the World
Florida Salutes Veterans
Florida Sheriff's Youth Ranch
Florida Special Olympic
Hospice: Everyday is a Gift
Imagine
Invest in Children
Keep Kids Drug Free
Kids Deserve Justice
Live the Dream
Motocycle Specialty
Parents Make A Difference
Police Athletic League
Police Benevolent Association
Salutes Firefighters
Share the Road
Stop Child Abuse
Stop Heart Disease
Support Homeownership For All
Support Soccer
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Army
U.S. Coast Guard
U.S. Marine Corps
U.S. Navy
U.S. Olympic
U.S. Paratroopers
United We Stand

PROFESSIONAL SPORTS
Florida Marlins (Baseball)
Florida Panthers (Hockey)
Jacksonville Jaguars (Football)
Miami Dolphins (Football)
Miami Heat (Basketball)
Orlando Magic (Basketball)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Football)
Tampa Bay Devil Rays (Baseball)
Tampa Bay Lightning (Hockey)

UNIVERSITIES
Barry University
Bethune-Cookman College
Clearwater Christian College
Eckerd College
Edward Waters College
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Flagler College
Florida A & M University
Florida Atlantic University
Florida College
Florida Gulf Coast University
Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences
Florida Institute of Technology
Florida International University
Florida Memorial University
Florida Southern College
Florida State University
Jacksonville University
Lynn University
New College of Florida
Nova Southeastern University
Palm Beach Atlantic University
Ringling School of Art and Design
Rollins College
Saint Leo University
Saint Thomas University
Southeastern University
Stetson University
University of Central Florida
University of Florida
University of Miami
University of North Florida
University of South Florida
University of Tampa
University of West Florida
Warner Southern College


Another good thing about the Florida DMV experience...they process and hand your new license back to you in a matter of minutes. Just like Sam's! And I checked. It does allow you to get back into Texas.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tim would say go with the Sea Turtles. He's a big turtle fan.

And we'll allow you back into Texas as long as you don't have the Orlando Magic or Miami Heat plates. That just won't be acceptable. :)

Unknown said...

Good grief...too many choices. Good think you're thinking ahead, because that would be a lot of pressure at the last minute! I love that they are so quick with the driver's licence distribution - Texas could learn a thing or two, I think...

Stephanie said...

Wow! That is a ton of options. I just might be so overwhelmed that I would just pick the normal one too. I'm glad you had time to look at it ahead of time though. That would be great if we could get our stuff that quick here!

Blog Archive