Tuesday, April 22, 2008

European or You're a Peein'?

Baby Mark and I were at Sam's last week.

He needed to be changed so I rolled the basket toward the restroom area. I saw the changing table right away, but didn't want to haul the infant seat, diaper bag, and my purse all the way in there, so I just grabbed the baby, diaper, wipes and changing pad, and covered the rest with my denim jacket. I could see the shopping basket over my shoulder.

We were halfway through the change when I heard a deep voice say, "Well, a woman's in there now...!" I turned and looked at the row of urinals behind me and then looked at the older gentleman standing by my basket.

"Am I in the Men's room?! I am so sorry... I'm a new grandmother and ..."

"I don't mind if you don't!" he declared, and in he walked.

"I, uh, technically we qualify to be in here since he's a boy..."

He walked to the back of the restroom and began to take care of business.

...tinkle, tinkle, tinkle...tinkle tinkle "How old is the little fella?" tinkle...

"Four months," I said. tinkle, tinkle, tinkle...tinkle, tinkle, tinkle

"Got some of those myself," tinkle, tinkle "They sure get sweet about six (tinkle, *big sigh* tinkle) months." tinkle, tinkle

Drip, drip,




Drip.

Meanwhile I've gone into warp speed wiping Mark's little bottom and trying to get out of there before I make eye contact with the man.

In his defense, I have to say, that at this point in my life, if I have to go and there is a bathroom in sight...I'm standing right there beside Mr. Tinkles, so to speak.

Sometimes it isn't easy to tell which door is which. Or they are trying to be clever with the names, so before you know it, you've confused senor with senora, and there you go.

I think there must be hidden cameras by those doors, just to catch our reactions and expressions as we realize we've made a mistake.

This time, I just wasn't paying attention.

Has this ever happened to you?

2 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

This was just as funny reading as it was when you told me! I would have been embarrassed enough but the fact that he just kept urinating and talking to you. I don't know what I would have done. I can say I am thankful that this has not happened to me yet :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh, Carolyn! What a great laugh you've just given me. The things that happen to you! I mean, I've walked into a men's restroom before, but THIS! I would've been so embarrassed! I can't wait to read this to Tracy & the boys.

Blog Archive